Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: launch a program in an arbitrary frame
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 00:56:51 +0200

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> it'd be nice to be able to display AJAX pages in
> some way... but I don't think linking against the
> same twenty-ton WebKit suite or Mozilla libraries
> that the big browsers are using is the way to do it.
> In doing that, we get their memory footprint, and
> their security problems.

No one is suggesting that.

> If we could have something clean, secure, and light
> that'd be great. I mostly just want to be able to
> see the textual information, plus a few embedded
> pictures -- kind of like Emacs-W3C. It'd be nice if
> it could be accomplished without twenty meg of
> tarballed code, written in some language with buffer
> overflow problems like C++.

Again, I'd recommend not using words such as "clean",
"secure", "light", etc. They don't carry any meaning.
No one is suggesting we have something "dirty",
"insecure", or "heavy"!

20M of tarballed code is nothing in this day and age.
It doesn't matter. What matters is what the code is,
and what program it compiles into, and what that
program does. If the program is brilliant and does
something new (or something old in a better way) it
might as well be 100M for all I care (and you
shouldn't, either).

The language issue is equally irrelevant (in all but
the extreme cases). Emacs is in C and Lisp, which I prefer
to C++ (unless the problem lends itself to
OO/modeling, in which case I prefer C++ to C).
Nonetheless, the expert C++ programmer with
a creative/resourceful mind can do wonders with 20M.
It is not the language, or the size of the tarball,
that matters!

> It's not what happens when I'm actually using Gnus
> that's the problem really. When I'm looking
> a Summary buffer list of articles, I hit RET on one,
> and it splits the frame into roughly 1/5th / 4/5ths,
> and displays the article in the bottom part.
> That's great.
>
> But now let's say I'm done using Gnus, and I want to
> way I wanted before I ran Gnus. My window layout is
> gone. I can bring up the buffers again, but I'd have
> to recreate the splits.

OK! This I once knew how to do. What you want is to
push the window configuration to a register each time
you open an article, and then have it restored with
a global keystroke. Hang on, I'll find it...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573