Re: C-= ?

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: C-= ?
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 18:26:37 -0700

On 2015-07-18 19:32 +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> called by "C-=".

Hi Sharon, as others already explained there's no command bound to that
combination in vanilla emacs, so you must investigate what other code
you use that could possibly do that.

I'll just add that there's a good reason emacs doesn't use this "key":
there's no ASCII code Control-=, so such a binding will not work in
emacs running on a text terminal, including an emulated terminal like
xterm.  It can only work in a true GUI emacs session where emacs knows
about every physical key press and release.

For this reason I try to avoid similar bindings in my own code.  Even
though I always use GUI emacs for normal code editing work, there are
special situations when it is not practical.  For example I am typing
this message in an emacs running on my email server, over a normal ssh
terminal connection.  It works great, it even looks exactly like my GUI
emacs thanks to my choice of faces, but pressing Control-= just enters a
= character :-P