Re: How to get the new frame?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to get the new frame?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:26:42 +0300

> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
> Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 13:21:52 -0500
>
> > Is display-monitor-attributes-list what you want?  Or maybe
> > display-mm-width and display-mm-height?  Or display-pixel-width and
> > display-pixel-height?  There are more, of course.
> >

> Thanks, Eli. I have the last four functions documented but not the first
> (variable?) in w32 24.3.

Upgrade to 24.5, the latest, and you will have the first function as
well.

> I have put:
>
>   '(display-mm-dimensions-alist (quote (("t400" 304 . 190))))
>
> in (custom-set-variables using custom but that doesn't register the
> display monitor (14.1" diag.).

I don't understand what that means, nor what you wanted to achieve,
and how exactly did you try achieving that via
display-mm-dimensions-alist.  Please show more of your code.

> Apparently the display part of the alist can be either nil, t, or a
> string but I can't get mm or pixel height or width through those
> functions after setting up the alist.

Again, I fail to follow.  Where I'm typing this, I get

  M-: (display-mm-height) RET => 180

What doesn't work for you?  Was this the function you tried?

> Btw, what is this first string in the documentation of the variable:
> (":0.0" . (287 . 215))?

The display name, only significant on X.

> I was hoping that Emacs might be able to interrogate the hardware
> somehow through the OS.

It does.

Not sure what is the question, exactly.  You said back then:

> I use 2 frames under w32, w64, courier (monospace 8 line high) to
> display *Calendar* and arial (proportional font) for everything else. Is
> there any other way to accomplish this?

Other than what? other than using a separate frame?  Then I suggest to
have a look at buffer-face-mode and its commands.  That's what is at
work when you click Shift-mouse-1 and select a font for the current
buffer.