Re: Alt-x not working

From: Rusi
Subject: Re: Alt-x not working
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 22:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

On Friday, July 24, 2015 at 3:37:25 AM UTC+5:30, Robert Thorpe wrote:
> Steve Graham writes:
> >> (global-set-key (read-kbd-macro
> >>     "<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>")
> >>     'execute-extended-comment)
> >
> > The Escape x worked great!
>
> Yes, instead of Alt-x you can first press ESC then x.  You can also use
> Ctrl-[ instead of ESC, it's often more convienent since it's nearer.
>
> As other have said, it seems you OS has remapped your keyboard in a
> strange way.
>
> Are you using a keyboard that has "Alt" and "Alt Gr"?  A British
> keyboard for example.  In many OSes "Alt Gr" doesn't do the same thing
> as Alt.  You often have to remap this key at the OS level.
>
> It's best to get Alt fixed.  Although C-[ is the best way to get Meta
> for lots of keys there are more where Alt is the best way.
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

OP seems to be on windows and I am on (currently) ubuntu so perhaps now very
useful...
Anyway I had almost the same experience a few weeks ago.
C-c stopped working -- emacs, shell, everywhere.
Followed from some hacking to setup keyboard -- compose key etc
Dont remember exactly what I did... Deleted some file somewhere ~/.config
/something-or-other and it started working