Re: difficulty entering balance mode

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: difficulty entering balance mode
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 14:53:25 -0400

I've reduced things to elementals. That is, I do $ emacs -q -l
.emacs-test. This .emacs-test file has in it only these lines:

  (autoload 'balance-mode "balance")
   (setq auto-mode-alist
     (append '(("\\.bal\\'" . balance-mode)) auto-mode-alist))

When I do M-x f to find .balance.bal, now it opens on first try, but
emacs does enter balance mode. I get this error:

  file mode specification error: (file-error) "Cannot open load file "no
  such file or directory" "balance".

This is indeed no such file "balance". Rather there is .balance.bal.