display-buffer and save-current-buffer

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: display-buffer and save-current-buffer
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:47:48 -0700

I was trying todo-mode ie. lisp/calendar/todo-mode.el in the emacs
distribution.  In the todo mode buffer I hit "t" which is bound to
todo-top-priorities.

Here is a bit of the code:

    (save-excursion
      (todo-show)
      (save-restriction
        (save-current-buffer
          (widen)
          (copy-to-buffer todo-print-buffer-name (point-min) (point-max))
          (set-buffer todo-print-buffer-name)

          (too-much-junk-to-not-elide)

      )))
    (when interactive (display-buffer todo-print-buffer-name))
    (message "Type C-x 1 to remove %s window.  M-C-v to scroll the help."
             todo-print-buffer-name)

Clearly, the intention is to show the buffer which was temporarily
selected within the save-current-buffer form.  However no such thing
happens; I get the message (with the expected buffer name interpolated)
but the buffer is not shown, I'm still in the original window
configuration with a single window showing the todo buffer.

When I do M-x eval-expression (display-buffer todo-print-buffer-name)
afterwards, it works as expected.

Is there perhaps a known bug with the interaction of save-current-buffer
and display-buffer in emacs 23.4 ?