Re: difficulty entering balance mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: difficulty entering balance mode
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 00:19:01 +0200

Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> writes:

> $ matches end of line. ' matches end of string
> or buffer.

Aha, crystal clear!

> If you use $ instead of ' when matching a string,
> you will falsely succeed if there's an internal
> newline. Luckily that doesn't often happen with
> file names.
>
> If you use neither, you will falsely succeed if the
> search text occurs in the middle of the string,
> which could very well happen with file names.

I see. This never happened because I never have dots
in my filenames save for the at the extention! See,
I'm so good, even when I make a mistake, nothing bad
can happen to me :) Nevertheless I'll change that to
\\' which is the right way.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573