Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 17:26:15 -0700

On 2015-07-28 01:45 +0200, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> They are lousy keys that are too far away (reaching + resetting hand
> necessary) - they don't even have their own designations.  People
> seldom use them and never remember what they do. They are like the
> Siberia of the keyboard; only real Siberia is much more interesting
> (tho equally remote, wide, and foggily unclear).

LOL

> They don't work everywhere.

F3 should work an any ANSI terminal, unlike C-=.

Sorry, couldn't resist ;-)

A bit more seriously, I mostly agree with Emanuel.  F3 in particular may
be problematic because of [1] (unfortunately hidden away and so often
overlooked).  The exceptions are F10 for menu and F1 for help, which are
well established hard to replace with single-keystroke bindings.

[1]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Key-Binding-Conventions.html#Key-Binding-Conventions