Re: What's the meaning of "^A" in emacs?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: What's the meaning of "^A" in emacs?
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 00:39:06 +0200

jorge.alfaro-murillo@yale.edu (Jorge A.
Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

>> It is common to use `C-j' when you interactively
>> enter a regexp that contains a newline char
>> (Control J). This is because (vanilla) Emacs binds
>> `C-j' in the minibuffer to a command other than
>> self-insertion.
>
> Yes, I had forgotten that one. It is very handy not
> only in regexp but when using command query-replace.

Yeah, good example, only I'd recommend putting the
form into the buffer itself instead and evaluating it
there. More clear, less error prone, easier to edit if
the result isn't bullseye the first invocation.
But for very simple expressions the metabuffer
is fine.

> Another use is C-q <space>, for writing a space with
> ido or when auto-fill-mode is on and you want not to
> break the line.

Very good example! Better than `C-x 8 RET space RET' :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573