Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?

From: Hikaru Ichijyo
Subject: Re: How to bind isearch-repeat-forward to F3 in a certain mode only?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 19:23:17 -0500

> On 2015-07-28, at 17:01, Ian Zimmerman <itz@buug.org> wrote:
>
>> Nothing prevents you as user from binding any key to any command, of
>> course.  But you shouldn't be too surprised when the next version of
>> Emacs will globally bind F3 to .. let's follow Marcin's cue
>> .. kmacro-start-macro.
>
> :-)
>
> Note that starting a kbd macro within isearch is rather improbable, so
> my idea seems safe.  (Although after this discussion I'm going to change
> it anyway.)
>
>> This has happened to me a few times with keys like M-o.
>
> That's why many of my private bindings start with C-z.

Most of my private key bindings are setup on the "super" key, which is
the Windows key in X11 on Linux (on an x86 keyboard).  I never use the
Windows key for anything else, and Emacs seems to have done nothing with
it but make it the "super" from the days of space cadet keyboards, so
it's been pretty safe.  I've never seen anything else use an "s-"
binding but me.

The only disadvantage for me has been that it only seems to work in X.
On a Linux VTY, or on a text terminal over SSH, the mapping seems to not
work, but thanks to Tramp mode, I almost never use Emacs outside of X.

--
He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent