Re: using use-package

From: Grant Rettke
Subject: Re: using use-package
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 20:20:27 -0500

On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Phillip Lord
<phillip.lord@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
> Oh, use-package is great. It is not that it actually does that much
> (although it does some stuff!), but that it allows (and in all honesty,
> forces) you to group together all configuration. I used to do this with
> multiple files that I loaded, but this works as better and is simpler.
> Add in :ensure and the unison file sync tool, and you can move from
> machine to machine, with identical set ups -- that's the way I use it.
> Pretty much the only package that I do not use use-package for is
> use-package, as it doesn't bootstrap!

My system uses it for package provisioning and loading but not
compartmentalization of configuration. The system wouldn't be useful
with major features missing so I let it crash and burn as soon as
possible.

> If I can be allowed to add a plug, also worth taking a look at my own
> lentic package. I know that some people are using this for their init
> file. It allows you to use org without all that tangling business.

Lentic is a very nice system. All of the literate systems out there
are an important part of the collective mindshare.