RE: mu4e and tagging

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mu4e and tagging
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2015 09:01:06 -0700 (PDT)

> > > Basically I have a number of email accounts and I want to
> > > apply a number of 'tags' to a message
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > (e.g. 'family', 'important', 'urgent' and so on).
> > > This let's me then find all 'important' emails very quickly. For this
> > > to work I need to apply multiple tags to a single email and apply the
> > > same tag to emails across the various accounts.
> >
> > Bookmarks with tags?
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#BookmarkTags
>
> Thanks Drew - I can't see how that fits into the workflow - are you
> suggesting each tag is a bookmark and then applying that bookmark
> to the relevant emails?

You said you wanted to apply multiple tags to a given email message.
So you would bookmark a message, and apply whatever tags you wanted
to the bookmark.  The bookmark gives you a way to tag the message.

Anything you can bookmark you can tag (indirectly), by tagging the
bookmark.

In addition to grouping by common tag (e.g., all `family' messages),
you can group bookmarks in multiple other ways (including bookmarking
a group of bookmarks!).  Tags and other ways of grouping let you
organize things - any kind of things that you can bookmark.  And you
can create new bookmark types for things that you cannot bookmark
out of the box.