Re: set-face-font and custom-set-font, DejaVu, fonts for hebrew

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: set-face-font and custom-set-font, DejaVu, fonts for hebrew
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 07:43:16 +0000

>> However  I want now to replace the «etl» font by the nicer Deja Vu font, but
>> how? I cannot find the DejaVu font via xfontsel.

> Doesn't the following work for you?

>   (set-face-font 'default "DejaVu Sans Mono")

It does, but the size is too big for my purposes, so I would need to add
the fonts size as an option, but that seems not to be possible with
set-face-font

So I just have now

(defun my-turn-bidi-on ()
  "Just turn  R2L on (`bidi-paragraph-direction' is NIL)
and turn the hebrew (qwerty) keyboard on."
  (interactive)
  (setq  bidi-paragraph-direction nil)
  (custom-set-faces
   '(default ((t (:family "DejaVu Sans Mono" :foundry "unknown" :slant
                          normal :weight normal :height 143 :width normal))))))

Which does what I want.

> Btw, changing the font of the default face is not the recommended
> procedure when all you want is to request that font for a certain
> script.  For that, define your fontset-default to use DejaVu Sans Mono
> only for the Hebrew script.  There are several examples of how to do
> that in the "Modifying Fontsets" node of the Emacs manual.

Right. I am getting used to the DejaVu font, at least for reading and
writing mail, not so much for programming, so I will follow your advice
and look into the manual. Thanks