Re: Font-lock in a comint derived mode

From: Björn Lindqvist
Subject: Re: Font-lock in a comint derived mode
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 16:43:03 +0200

> On 2015-08-06 11:48 +0200, Björn Lindqvist wrote:
>
>> Why doesn't regular font-locking "just work"?
>
> If highlighting is desired in the interaction
> buffer, it should have its own more conservative rules, which can take
> into account restrictions such a you suggested:

Correct. I tried to explain why regular font-locking doesn't "just
work" and you need a more conservative approach. But it's not easy to
come up with an approach that is conservative enough not to have
highlighting leaking due to unterminated strings and similar problems,
and radical enough to font-lock normal strings. It's hard and a lot of
work which is why I'm looking for prior art in this area. Almost
anyone who has written a comint-mode must have considered the same
problem I'm describing.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist