Re: Special Characters

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Special Characters
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 10:19:23 +0600

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM, Ian Baylis <ibay0918@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Is there a list that contains all the octal
> representations of characters like \342\200\231?

If you’re interested, you might want to read a description of the
UTF-8 encoding, then browse the Unicode charts.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3629
http://www.unicode.org/charts/

However, I must ask: Why do you want to know? Are you going to
hand-decode files that come your way? Why not delegate that work to
computers?

There are many different character encodings. When people or software
do not agree on which one they use, misdecoding occurs. With some
experience, one can make an accurate guess at which encoding was used
originally, although this becomes less necessary as we migrate to
UTF-8.

PS: please don’t top-post.