Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 01:56:48 +0200

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> I think you have this metaphor backward; all I said
> was that sharp-quote can be helpful (like
> indentation), not that you should be compelled to
> use it.
>
> Pascal's point (that the sameness between `quote'
> and `function' in Emacs Lisp is an implementation
> detail which, at least in principal, could change)
> is perhaps stronger, but he's not saying that Emacs
> Lisp should change to force you to use `quote' and
> `function' differently.

This discussion is by now nothing but confusing.

The one advantage we have heard is - if it is used,
the compiler will tell you if the function is defined,
so it is a safety net for typos and mix-ups.

The disadvantages are:

    - Ugly syntax; and, one less char on that line
      available.

    - Not clear when to use it (as this discussion
      shows).

    - Until you get used to it, you have to stop and
      think if it should be used or not. You don't
      want to think about that, but of the problem
      that you are set to solve - also, the context
      and function name should already communicate
      this to you, and with this syntax you may be
      tempted to be more sloppy with that.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573