Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:31:27 -0500

In article <mailman.8450.1439775768.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
> writes:
>
> > put doesn't take functions and neither does it take
> > function designators.
>
> But it does accept functions, as that piece of code
> shows, so the sharp quote syntax is even more

No it doesn't. It looks like it does, but only because sharp-quote just
returns the symbol in Emacs Lisp, not a function.

The problem is that sharp-quote is just syntactic sugar in Elisp, it
doesn't actually do anything different from quote.

> confusing/tedious/error-prone as it separates
> functions from symbols, only that shouldn't always be
> done, as it depends on the function that gets the
> symbols (or functions as symbols) as well!
>
> It is very much to think about compared to just
> typing:
>
>     ;; enable commands
>     (put 'upcase-region    'disabled   nil)
>     (put 'downcase-region  'disabled   nil)
>     (put 'erase-buffer     'disabled   nil)
>     (put 'suspend-frame    'disabled   t  )
>
> Here, everyone immediately understands that
> `upcase-region' is a function and that isn't disabled
> anymore. The special syntax for functions, which
> shouldn't even be used, would, if used, not clarify
> that one bit in my eyes/fingers.

You don't disable functions, you disable *commands*, and commands are
denoted using symbols.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA