how to calculate the size of string in bytes?

From: Sam Halliday
Subject: how to calculate the size of string in bytes?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 02:11:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

We've had to change the ENSIME protocol to be more friendly to other editors
and this has meant changing how we frame TCP messages.

We used to have a 6 character hex number at the start of each message that
counted the number of multibyte characters, but we'd like to change it to be
the number of bytes in the message.

We're sending the string to `process-send-string' and `read'ing from the
associated network buffer. But when calculating the outgoing length of the
string that we want to send, we use `length' --- but we need this to be
`length-in-bytes' not the number of multibyte chars. Is there a built in
function to do this or am I going to have to iterate the string and count the
byte size of each character?

A quick test shows that

  (length (encode-coding-string "EURO" 'raw-text))

seems to give the correct result (1 for ASCII, 2 for Pound Sterling, 3 for
Euro), but I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

Similarly, when we read from the network, we want to ensure that we `read'
numbers of bytes, not multibyte chars. I *think* we are doing the right thing
here, but if somebody could check, that would be greatly appreciated.

These are the relevant part of our Emacs code

;; https://github.com/ensime/ensime-emacs/blob/master/ensime-client.el#L507
(defun ensime-net-send (sexp proc)
  (let* ((msg (concat (ensime-prin1-to-string sexp) "\n"))
         (string (concat (ensime-net-encode-length (length msg)) msg))
         (coding-system (cdr (process-coding-system proc))))
    (when ensime--debug-messages (message "--> %s" sexp))
    (ensime-log-event sexp)
    (process-send-string proc string)))

;; https://github.com/ensime/ensime-emacs/blob/master/ensime-client.el#L584
(defun ensime-net-read ()
  "Read a message from the network buffer."
  (goto-char (point-min))
  (let* ((length (ensime-net-decode-length))
         (start (+ 6 (point)))
         (end (+ start length)))
    (assert (plusp length))
    (goto-char (byte-to-position start))
    (prog1 (read (current-buffer))
      (delete-region (- (byte-to-position start) 6)
                     (byte-to-position end)))))