Re: What license to use for Emacs libraries?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What license to use for Emacs libraries?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:01:21 -0400

> There are other options, I believe, including release under public
> domain which I you could do, although others can argue that this is a
> bad thing to do.

Few people find it bad to "release in the public domain".  Instead the
problem is that you can't do it.  Your work will/should fall into the
public domain at some point in the future (currently defined as
something like 75 years after your death, tho there are strong
commercial interests behind pushing this even further into the future),
but nobody (other than time itself) can do that.

Instead, you can release under a license that mimics the effects of
something being in the public domain (e.g. the CC0 license).

        Stefan