Re: How to quote a list of functions?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to quote a list of functions?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 21:27:35 +0200

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> Folks, you're talking past each other.
> To a Lisp-2er, calling the argument `list' seems
> natural. A Lisp-1er wouldn't even dream of it,
> because that would uh... shadow the very useful
> function with the same name.
>
> Just accept that your brains are wired in a slightly
> different way instead of trying to find the One
> Right Way.

What Marcin Borkowski is trying to do sure is
confusing to say the least, but as for me I'm simply
trying to come up with a good rule and method when
functions - when referred to using their names -
should appear using the sharp quote or just the quote.

The answer so far has been when the function accepts
a function, it should be #', and whenever a symbol, '.

Because the function definitions don't carry this
information, I've so far relied on the help (the
docstrings). Sometimes it says straight out FUNCTION
(or PREDICATE) and sometimes SYMBOL, and then it is
easy (tho using the help for this is a bit sketchy to
begin with). However, sometimes the function parameter
is named after purpose and the help doesn't say much
else, and then it is worse.

Now I'm writing a tool to find all quoted functions in
my Elisp. What you can't measure, you can't control.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573