Re: How to insert a string every 2 characters

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: How to insert a string every 2 characters
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:55:08 +0200

> Nicolas Richard <youngfrog@members.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>> Act like you are stressed and not too smart, and
>>> that is exactly what you will become.
>>
>> It is too late for me, it seems, because I can't
>> figure out what you're trying to tell me.
>
> You said something to the extent that keyboard macros
> are quick and not too smart. I assumed you mean
> advanced or powerful by "smart", and that those
> methods (the smart ones) aren't as quick.

I meant "if you don't need the power of elisp/a reusable function".
Writing a function has its own overhead, because you have to write it,
maybe make it a bit generic, possibly test it, document it (otherwise
future-self will hate you) and put it somewhere you can find it later
(i.e. find a name for it. I've heard that's NP-hard, or something ;)).

>                          Anyone who has done physical
> work (e.g., digging trenches or whatever) knows that
> the perception of time is very disadvantageous when
> doing computer work. You can fiddle with some detail
> and suddenly two, three hours have gone by!

Totally agree. With computers we solve problems that would not exist (or
would be impossible to solve, which is mostly equivalent).

Obligatory mention of https://xkcd.com/1319/.

--
Nico