Re: Doing things only in a particular mode

From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
Subject: Re: Doing things only in a particular mode
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 15:35:09 -0400

Stefan Monnier writes:

Note that I use `-1` as the argument to `visual-line-mode`.

I do the same and recommend others do that as well.

I like better:

(foo-mode 1) ; on

(foo-mode 0) ; off

It looks like a on/off switch.

IIRC an argument of 0 would actually activate the mode.
That is wrong,

Indeed, it's wrong. But whether 0 is negative or positive or both or neither is a long discussion, so by using -1 you completely side step the issue.

A positive number is a number bigger than zero. Zero is not bigger than zero, so it is not a positive number. It is also not a negative number, since it is not smaller than zero.

--
Jorge.