Re: From Gnus to mu4e

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: From Gnus to mu4e
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 12:41:05 +0200

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Yes - offlineimap is running permanently, but ony checks in specific
>> intervalls - the rest of the time it is idling, but can, if told so,
>> keep the connection open (and this is what I do in my config).
>
> This is incorrect.
>
>     In email technology, IDLE is an IMAP feature described in RFC 2177
>     that allows a client to indicate to the server that it is ready to
>     accept real-time notifications.                        (Wikipedia)
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry - mixed it up with running offlineimap in daemon mode with
checking periodically, controlled by the "autorefresh" option.

Didn't know about the idlefolders option.

> What you are talking about is polling; like a chron job.  This is
> inefficient.

Why is it inefficient, and inefficient in regards to local resources,
time, bandwidth? The connections are kept open, and it is just
polling every few minutes. With idlefolders, offlineimap is permanently
listening to the server?

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug