Re: End and beginning of buffer

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: End and beginning of buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 03:22:26 +0100

javaxman69@gmail.com writes:

> Hi all.
> I don't know if it is me (probably), but I can't have the key binding M-> and
> M-< working on my pc (OS is Ubuntu 14.04, and Emacs version is 24.3.1).
> Expected behaviour is reaching the end and the beginning of a buffer, but
> instead I get the following messages, respectively:
> - Find tag:
> - No M-x tags-search or M-x tags-query-replace in progress
> Any idea why?

It could be the inconsistencies of laptop keyboards.  In general, the
character that's printed at the bottom on each key is the one that's
provided when you press the key normally.  The character printed on the
top of each key is the one given when you press shift and that key.  M->
is end-of-buffer, M-< is beginning-of-buffer.  Usually, "<" and ">" are
shifted keys.  Usually the corresponding keys unshifted give "," and
".", those give tags-loop-continue and tag-search.  It could be that
your keyboard has "<" and ">" as the unshifted keys.

BR,
Robert Thorpe