Re: member returns list

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: member returns list
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 21:09:37 +0300

Pascal J. Bourguignon (2015-09-10 07:21 +0300) wrote:

> Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> writes:
>
>> Why don't you do a Lisp OS with Lisp-only software?
>
> Time. Money.
>
>> Are there any particularly impressive Lisp programs
>> I can try? A window manager, for example?
>
> Indeed, there is stumpwm.

If Scheme is Lispy enough for you, then there is also guile-wm [1].

> There are a lot of CL servers and applications, it would only take time
> to integrate them into a system with some kind of kernel (eg. a Linux
> kernel, for the drivers), writing a init(1) in lisp.
>
> But I would expect that it would take more time to polish the result
> into a really usable system.  I'd bet on having the first integration
> done would motivate people to polish it.
>
> On the other hand, there's also Mezzano if you want to try a recent
> LispOS written in CL.

As for the operating system, there is "Guix System Distribution" [2]
which is based on Guile.  It uses dmd as its init system (also written
in Guile).  You can also try Guix package manager on your current
system; it will not interfere with the package manager of your system.
I would say it's a very "impressive Lisp program".

[1] https://github.com/mwitmer/guile-wm
[2] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix

--
Alex