Re: member returns list

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: member returns list
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 10:40:00 +0300

> From: "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 01:29:43 +0200
>
> Imagine if the bitmap displays were only used on high end workstations
> for scientific data representation, and in low-end PC for games.
>
> Most PC would still work with text screens.

Which would be a Good Thing, IMO, since what we have now is beyond
ridiculous: 99.99% of our CPU power is engaged in moving pixels on the
screen from here to there.  That's why we have generations of
programmers who are blissfully unaware of the tremendous power of the
current CPUs: all they have before their eyes is how long it takes MS
Word to redraw its screen.  On my daytime job I bump into those guys
every day: they are unable to imagine how much processing could be
done in 1 sec, and therefore vastly underestimate the performance of
data processing software they need to design and implement.  Ask them
how did people fly to the Moon with a 1 MIPS CPU, and they will tell
you it's impossible.