computer history (was: Re: member returns list)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: computer history (was: Re: member returns list)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 02:01:36 +0200

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com>
writes:

> Nope. XML comes from SGML -> HTML (dead-end),
> therefore SGML -> XML.
>
> Only good things can derive from Lisp.

Tho I didn't agree with the attitude "no this, no
that" in principle, that doesn't mean this wasn't
exactly what happened in the only history which
is real.

So here is what you have said so far, with some edits
to the form only.

Perhaps you can expand it even further both backward
and forward in time?

It could start with the transistor in the 40s/50s
(Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956) and end with the most
recent advances, for examples e-mail and
Walkie Talkies.

Speaking of communication, that isn't included at all
save for the "HTTP/www": mail, Usenet, and SMSs should
be there - somewhere!

Also, the edges (if this is a FSM) should perhaps
carry labels why there is a transition and/or in
what sense?

Anyways:

SGML -> HTML -> XML

LISP -> Smalltalk -> Parc -> Apple -> LISA -> Macintosh -> Windows

Smalltalk -> Objective-C -> NeXTSTEP -> Mac OS X -> iOS -> iPad -> iPhone

NeXTSTEP -> HTTP/www -> Google, Facebook, Twitter

Java -> Android

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573