Re: One-off history for read-string

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: One-off history for read-string
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:27:27 +0200

On 2015-09-24, at 17:47, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Is it fine to use a temporary, let-bound variable name as the HISTORY
>> parameter, or is there a better way for a "history" I only need to read
>> from, not to write to?
>
> It's probably OK, but do declare this variable with (defvar <myvar>)
> since it shouldn't be lexically bound

Ah, I don't use lexical binding in my package.  I probably should;
thanks for this advice!

> Note also that if the user uses nested minibuffers, she may have two
> such commands active at the same time, so you may need to generate the
> symbol dynamically rather than always use the same symbol.

Rather not applicable to my situation.  But out of curiosity: what are
"nested minibuffers" and where can I read about them?  In my Emacs, when
I try to issue a command which needs minibuffer while I'm in
a minibuffer, I get the message "Command attempted to use minibuffer
while in minibuffer".

>         Stefan

Thanks,

--