Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: kill-region without modifying the kill ring
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 21:15:24 +0600

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 2:32 PM, Jim Newton <jimka.issy@gmail.com> wrote:
> is there a way or an idiom for killing a region without changing the kill
> ring.
> I often want to cut several different regions by highlighting them, but then
> insert a particular thing with C-Y.  If I use C-W to kill the region C-Y will
> yank back the string I just killed rather than the one I want.
>
> It would be nice to have a version of C-W which does not effect the kill-ring.

I remember something posted on this very list not long ago. It was
called deleterious-mode.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2015-08/msg00152.html

(I don’t use it yet, but I do a very similar thing, rebinding all keys
which normally kill to delete instead. When I want something cut, I
cut it explicitly.)