Re: One-off history for read-string

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: One-off history for read-string
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 19:33:31 -0700

Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> > However, I don't care about /writing/ it to some
> > variable in Emacs, since the new entry will be
> > uploaded to the server anyway, and taken from there
> > the next time, together with the rest of
> > the history.
>
> So then, what does it matter?

He wants history to be available to the user (e.g. `M-p'), but he wants
that history to come from a server rather than be accumulated in the
usual way. So the history on the server is likely changing over time,
but from the Lisp code's perspective it's conceptually a new list each
time.

Something like this, if I understand him correctly:

    (defvar readonly-history)

    (defun get-history-list-from-server ()
      ;; Imagine we fetch this list of HTTP
      (list "foo" "bar" "baz" "quux"))

    (defun my-read-string (prompt)
      (let ((readonly-history (get-history-list-from-server)))
        (read-string prompt nil 'readonly-history)))

--
john