Re: `looking-back' strange warning

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: `looking-back' strange warning
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 08:36:16 +0200

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Stefan, that's bad gouvernants style. What about "respect users
> freedom" and blah?

I think the warning is necessary (to let people know that a call will be
wrong in a future release), as well is the advertised calling convention
per se (the user should be forced to think about the limit).

The only thing that is not optimal is the kind of how the information is
presented to the user: the wording is confusing.  It would better if it
would say something about a changed/obsoleted signature or so.

Apart from that, I don't see a problem.  The warning goes away if you
use the LIMIT arg everywhere, and that is easy to do and doesn't harm
even if you use older Emacs versions as well, on the contrary, I think
it is an improvement for most users doing that.

Michael.