Re: evil mode repeat search

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: evil mode repeat search
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 23:52:37 +0200

Kendall Shaw <kshaw@kendallshaw.com> writes:

> In vi/vim/viper, / and ? repeat the previous search. In evil, they do
> not (it seems).

Try with

(setq evil-search-module 'evil-search)

> I can get around that by using 'n'. So, for example:
>
> /Blah
> edit edit edit
> edit edit edit
>

> But, in dired-mode, using evil, 'n' doesn't work to repeat the previous
> search either. To get around that, for forward search, I can type / M-p
> <ENTER>, but doing that 20 times in a row is too difficult and I can't
> search backward. For example:
>
> /Except
> do something else
> / M-p <ENTER>
> / M-p <ENTER>
> / M-p <ENTER>
> / M-p <ENTER>
> do something else
>

> Has anyone come up with a solution? Or, is there some other approach I
> can take?

In dired mode `n' is bound to dired-next-line. IIRC there is some
package on the 'net for enabling most evil key binding on dired mode.
However, the setting I mentioned above also works for repeated `/' in
dired mode, so you may find it adequate.

BTW, evil-mode has its own mailing list. See the project's page:

https://bitbucket.org/lyro/evil/wiki/Home