Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?

From: J G Miller
Subject: Re: How to install several Emacs versions on the same system?
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 15:17:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Wednesday, October 7th, 2015, at 16:28:20h +0200, Oleh Krehel wrote:

> This way I always have access to the newest git version with only "make"
> (no "make install"). And also to the latest stable version in case the
> git version breaks.

May I suggest that you have a look at the "stow" utility which allows
multiple versions of "locally installed from source" software to be present
on a system and allows for very easy removal.

<http://blog.danieroux.COM/2005/08/07/using-gnu-stow-to-manage-source-installs/>

Latest version of stow at

    <https://github.COM/aspiers/stow>

Under a stow build (using prefix /usr/local) and install
(to install-prefix or DESTDIR /usr/local/stow/{package_name}
you can then see all your locally installed from source
software under /usr/local/stow.

You can activate/deactivate which ones appear in the path with the
stow/unstow method, or even have multiple versions present if they are have
version dependent installation directories and names eg
emacs-23, emacs-24 rather than just emacs.