Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Can I share ~/.emacs.d/elpa with two machines?
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 09:56:52 -0400

> I don't think it's a good idea to mix the git version of Org with elpa. It
needlessly complicates the setup, and you are more likely fall foul to the
infamous mixed install issue.

Yes, I am aware of the risk factor.

I add the dev version org-mode lisp/ dir to the very top in the `load-path`
array. So as long as a package is found in the dev version lisp/ dir, emacs
will not try to hunt for those in the package manager installed
org-plus-contrib dir. So only the contrib/ area packages end up being
picked from the org-plus-contrib.

I am using this mixed installation for few months now without any problem.
That said, now that I know of local.mk, I know what to do if this setup
starts giving me trouble!

--
Kaushal Modi