Re: Global keymap not found

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Global keymap not found
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2015 10:53:33 +0200

Albrecht Mehl <AlbrechtMehl.spamgrab@iesy.net> writes:

> ... they describe an unsatisfactory at least to me situation. The keys
> and the prefix keys are basic elements of emacs. They should be
> available in a reference list/table in a matter of seconds and the way
> to get them should be described and made open by a clickable link at
> the same place within 48.3.1 of the manual.

C-h b is the thing you are looking for - scroll to section "Global
bindings" in its output.  It is mentioned in

    (info "(emacs) Misc Help")

btw lots of chapters before the one you cited.  Have
you tried C-h b?  What kind of information do you miss?

>   Am I too exacting or is something missing in the manual?

The chapter you cite is more of a kind that describes the underlying
concepts.  But I think I agree that it's kind of unsatisfactory to read
that when you don't know how to "look" at the map at this point.  Maybe
a link to (info "(emacs) Misc Help") could be added in
(info "(emacs) Key Bindings").

BTW there is no end user command (though it's easy to write one) that
shows the bindings of exactly one map.  The reason is probably that all
keymaps in effect are always merged to get a list of bindings, keymaps
with higher priority shadow bindings in keymaps with low priority  (the
global-map has a low priority btw), so there is only a command that
shows all bindings currently in effect combined - namely C-h b.

Regards,

Michael.