Re: .emacs not loading libraries

From: Mart van de Wege
Subject: Re: .emacs not loading libraries
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 00:29:39 +0200

> Mart van de Wege <mvdwege@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Teemu had the right idea: in order to load elpa
>> packages, I have to call (package-initialize) in
>> .emacs. Thanks for going the trouble.
>
> OK, but still: Without the tilde in the `load-path', it
> only works because probably when loading is done the
> `default-directory' *is* your HOME!

Yep. I was unclear, when I mention .emacs.d/elpa I meant relative to my
home dir; it has the tilde in it in the function calls adding it to my
load-path.

I've gotten pretty good at elisp, but until recently I stuck to
debian-packaged packages; only because I got seriously into org-mode for
my personal planning needs did I switch to elpa packages, because they
update a lot faster than Debian; and the one package I needed was
org-alert to alert me to my deadlines.

Your explanation was spot-on, hence the thanks for going to the trouble
of writing all that out.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.