Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:24:09 -0600

I have emacs24, 24.4+1-5 on Debian 8.2 jessie. In the past (e.g. emacs
23.4+1-4 on debian 7.x, wheezy), I have had emacs re-display my diary
every day automatically. This capability does not seem to work on this
version of emacs.

Relevant portions of my .emacs (watch for wrapping):

;; Calendar stuff:
(if (system-is-desktop)
    (progn

      ;; ---great bit of code from Jeff Miller to highlight appointments in red
on modeline---

      ;; per http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AppointmentMode
      (defface appt-face
        '((t (:foreground "red" :background "white")))
        "Face to indicate a current appointment."
        :group 'appt)

      (defadvice appt-disp-window (before appt-hilite-more activate)
        (when appt-mode-string
          (put-text-property 1 (- (length appt-mode-string) 1)
                             'face 'appt-face appt-mode-string)))

      (defadvice appt-check (after appt-hilite activate)
        (when appt-mode-string
          (put-text-property 1 (- (length appt-mode-string) 1)
                             'face 'appt-face appt-mode-string)
          (force-mode-line-update)))

      ;; ---------------------------------
      ;; (seq appt-display-mode-line t)    ; explicitly enable it.

      ;; set my home co-ordinates for sunrise/sunset calculations
      (setq calendar-latitude xx.x)
      (setq calendar-longitude xxx.x)
      (setq calendar-location-name "obfuscated")
      (calendar)                       ; fire up the calendar display.
      (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)
      ;; (setq cal-tex-diary t)
      ;; (setq cal-tex-rules t)

      (progn
        (calendar-mark-holidays)
        (diary-mark-entries)
        (other-window 1) ; Now switch to the main window on this frame.
        ;; Set a vector for the number of days in advance to show
        ;; appointments. Then turn the diary mode on.
        (setq diary-number-of-entries [2 3 3 3 3 5 2])
        ;; Add the appointment generator to the diary hook.

        (if ( < emacs-major-version 24) ; emacs 23 or less
            (add-hook 'diary-hook 'appt-make-list)
          )

        ;; (add-hook 'diary-display-function 'diary-fancy-display)
        (setq diary-display-function 'diary-fancy-display)
        )

      ;; If this is non-nil, Emacs rings the terminal bell for appointment
      ;; reminders. The default is t.
      ;; (setq appt-audible nil)

      (setq appt-activate 1 ; http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AppointmentMode
            appt-display-duration 59)

      ;; Also from http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AppointmentMode
      (defun diary-save-hook ()
        "Stuff to do when saving the diary files."
        (appt-initialize))
      (defun add-diary-save-hook ()
        "find-file-hooks hook to add the diary-save-hook when appropriate"
        (if (string-match "diary" (buffer-name))
            (add-hook 'after-save-hook 'diary-save-hook)))
      (add-hook 'find-file-hooks 'add-diary-save-hook)

      (diary)

      )
  )
;; end calendar/diary stuff

supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the
place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
-- U.S. Const. Amendment IV