Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Daily Diary Display in Emacs emacs24 24.4+1-5
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 22:44:11 +0200

Charles Curley <charlescurley@charlescurley.com>
writes:

> I have emacs24, 24.4+1-5 on Debian 8.2 jessie.
> In the past (e.g. emacs 23.4+1-4 on debian 7.x,
> wheezy), I have had emacs re-display my diary every
> day automatically. This capability does not seem to
> work on this version of emacs.
>
> Relevant portions of my .emacs ...

That code is very disorganized. Try to clean it up.
Consider moving it all to file of its own, e.g.,
my-calendar.el and then `load' it from .emacs.

You don't mention which part of the code doesn't work
- as for me, I don't even have a "system-is-desktop"
function, which is the first line of your code - I'm
on

    GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
    Version 3.14.5) of 2015-03-07 on trouble, modified
    by Debian

but it might be a package thing rather.

Anyway, what is it that you want to happen? You write
"I have had emacs re-display my diary every day
automatically." Literally, that sounds like you have
Emacs on 24/7 and you want it to automatically update
the diary every 24 hours. But more likely (since you
mention "desktop") you want Emacs to bring up the
diary on startup. Or? Which is it?

In general, instead relying on such wild-west code, do
what you want interactively, with M-x (and shortcuts),
then, when you get it to work, replicate what you just
did in code. It shouldn't be like several pages!
Keep configuration (settings, usually `setq') and
behavior (functions, i.e. `defun's) apart.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573