Re: New Files and directories

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: New Files and directories
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 03:04:30 +0100

Dan Espen <despen@verizon.net> writes:

>> Oh my god ! Thank you so much guys... you were
>> right... I just had to keypress "g"... I was trying
>> all CTRL-x... but didn't try single keys... You
>> guys made my day thanks again !
>
> Bear in mind that Emacs normally uses control and
> meta keys until you get into a mode where typing
> data is not the normal default.
>
> DIRED, GNUS, BUFFER LIST, and other modes make
> liberal use of plain keys.

But: Those modes sometimes come with very complicated
keystrokes nonetheless!

For example, Emacs-w3m is one I had to do a lot of
re-wiring as complicated keystrokes were there
by default.

Note: Sometimes combinations are actually faster than
single keys (e.g., C-l is faster than F10) but in many
cases the authors of those mode (I think) simply
didn't examine the keyboard for free one-key
keystrokes to associate with common commands.

As it is often said on this list, "FWIW", I wrote this
tool so as to be able to hammer keys all over the
keyboard and have the associated command pop up in the
echo area. This can be used to find a free key fast,
or a key that is assigned, but assigned to something
you realize instantly you'll not use as often as what
you currently have in mind:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/show-command.el

--
underground experts united