Re: Suppress (pop kill-ring) from *Messages*

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Suppress (pop kill-ring) from *Messages*
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 22:33:44 +0100

On 2015-11-01, at 20:53, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:

> I often prefer to have an item popped off of the kill ring
> programmatically/automatically.
>
> If I invoke (pop kill-ring) from some elisp code, the top item shows in in
> *Messages*

I would guess that what you are doing is M-: (pop kill-ring) or
something similar.  Since `pop' returns the popped value, it is then
shown.

On the other hand, this:

(defun pop-from-kill-ring ()
  "Pop an item from kill-ring and discard it."
  (interactive)
  (pop kill-ring))

does not show anything when invoked via M-x pop-from-kill-ring, and
shows the discarded value again when invoked via
M-: (pop-from-kill-ring)

> If I invoke browse-kill-ring and delete the top item, it is done
> silently.
>
> How can I suppress the recording of the item in messages?

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University