Re: Window too big

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Window too big
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 03:39:58 +0100

Hendrik Boom <hendrik@topoi.pooq.com> writes:

> Should I conclude there is no way within emacs to
> set the variable that control window size (or shoulf
> I say, panel size?)

There are windows in Emacs. For example, evaluate
these:

    (split-window-vertically)
    (other-window 1)

And you can get properties as data from those, e.g.
with:

    (window-height)

But, what you are talking about seems (?) to be the
windows of the window manager of your window system
(e.g., X) and/or desktop (e.g, GNOME, KDE). And those
windows can be resized from outside of Emacs, and from
within Emacs.

> There does seem to be a way to request full-screen
> mode, so there must be a way for emacs to determine
> the screen size

Indeed, you can use, as a CLI option

    -fs, --fullscreen
            Make the first frame fullscreen.

or, in Emacs:

    (toggle-frame-fullscreen)

Perhaps what you look for is:

    frame-pixel-height
      Function: Return a FRAME's height in pixels.
    frame-pixel-width
      Function: Return FRAME's width in pixels.

?

> Or that emacs has the wrong default size for my
> computer, or that xcfe has simply decided to
> override them with the wrong values?

I have no idea, but probably it is still easier to
configure this "back" to what you want in Emacs,
instead of messing with that. It is not like it is
a costly operation :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573