Re: Setting scrollbar colors

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Setting scrollbar colors
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 08:19:02 +0600

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 1:54 AM, Tim Johnson <tim@akwebsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm using emacs on ubuntu 14.04 with the follow settings
> version :
> 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.7)
>
> I'm not able to set scrollbar colors though either the native
> customizing of the face or through .Xdefaults or .Xresources.
>
> Since the toolbar widget and the 'trough' are almost the same color,
> it makes it very hard to read in most lighting circumstance.

To get any effect on GTK+ widgets used in Emacs (menu bar, toolbar,
scrollbars), you should customize your GTK+ scheme.

For example, the Clearlooks Phenix theme has a very high-contrast
scrollbar out of the box (to the point that I find it distracting and
have to customize it). It is available as an Ubuntu package:
clearlooks-phenix-theme.