Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Is gnu.emacs.gnus dead?
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 21:39:06 +1100

David Hume <David.Hume@example.com> writes:

To (not) answer your question about Gnus and Babel: I don't know. The translation stuff I do is collected in an interface [1] to the google-translate package, which you can get from ELPA. Perhaps that is helpful to you as well.

[1] http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/translate.el

OK I don't know what I am doing. From what I have read ELPA is the default package repo for gnu emacs. So I should be able to

package-refresh-contents package-install google-translate? or translate? What is it called?

'ELPA' just means 'Emacs Lisp Package Archive'. There are a number of such ELPAs: GNU ELPA (sometimes abbreviated to GELPA), the Marmalade ELPA, MELPA, and so on. i believe that `google-translate` is only packaged on MELPA, so you'll need to set up your Emacs to use MELPA:

http://melpa.org/#/getting-started

You should then find MELPA packages listed when you call `package-list-packages`, and be able to `package-install` the `google-translate` package.

Alexis.