Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: error when trying to add a new rss feed
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 19:57:13 +0000

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble (2015-11-14 18:54 +0300) wrote:
>
>> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Hello, I remember I also had this error.  "www.syndic8.com" thing came
>>> from emacs itself.  It is a fallback or something like it (look at
>>> "M-x find-function nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8").
>>

>> nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8 is a compiled Lisp function in `nnrss.el'.
>>
>> (nnrss-find-rss-via-syndic8 URL)
>>
>> Query syndic8 for the rss feeds it has for URL.
>>
>> In which case, maybe it would work better if I just commented that line
>> out? We shall see.
>
> I'm sure it wouldn't help.
>
> And now I know what the real problem is.  I have downloaded an atom-file
> you mentioned
> <http://karl-voit.at/feeds/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml>
> and it is a *malformed* xml file.  I manually called 'xsltproc' with
> 'atom2rss.xsl' on this xml-file and got the following output:
>
> $ xsltproc /path/to/atom2rss.xsl
> /home/alexx/downloads/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml > f1
> /home/alexx/downloads/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml:1032:
> parser error : EntityRef: expecting ';'
> d. <a
> href="http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00L7W8BGU/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp
>
>  ^
> /home/alexx/downloads/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml:1032:
> parser error : EntityRef: expecting ';'
> en <a
> href="http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00KT2WVLA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp
>
>  ^
> /home/alexx/downloads/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml:2508:
> parser error : EntityRef: expecting ';'
> iltered" source of information to <a
> href="http://www.essene.com/History&Essenes
>
>  ^
> unable to parse
> /home/alexx/downloads/lazyblorg-all.atom_1.0.links-and-content.xml
>
> So as you can see, there are 3 places in this file where instead of a
> proper "&amp;" sequence, a simple "&" is used (which is incorrect).  If
> these errors will be fixed, I almost sure your original code will
> work.

Since then I've looked at "nnrss.el" and saw that it wouldn't call
syndic8 if xml-rpc could not be found. As I used to use xml-rpc when I
used org2blog when I had a wordpress site and I no longer needed it I
removed it. Then weblogger and metaweblogger created that they couldn't
find xml-rpc either, and as nothing called them, they were removed too.
Nothing else has bleated that its unsafe, so it seems to be quiet and
okay, so far at least! Touch wood! I haven't really tried to download
any new rss feeds yet, just letting the dust settle ATM.

>>> I don't recall in details, but I think I faced this error when I wanted
>>> to use Atom feeds in gnus.  So I used the same code from the wiki to
>>> convert Atom to RSS as you do, and it worked for me.  Make sure you have
>>> "atom2rss.xsl" as described in the wiki.  Good luck!
>>>

>>> P.S.  It is probably of no interest for you, but a code I use for
>>> converting Atom to RSS is placed here:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/alezost/emacs-utils/blob/master/utl-gnus.el#L199-L238
>>>
>>> And in my emacs config I have:
>>>
>>> (setq utl-atom2rss-file "/path/to/atom2rss.xsl")
>>> (advice-add 'mm-url-insert :after #'utl-convert-atom-to-rss)
>>
>> Thanks, I've incorporated both snippets into my "init.org" and will
>> shortly try it out.
>
> No need to do it, your initial code should work (for a proper atom file).

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind when I find one :)

Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1