How to programmatically save a buffer?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: How to programmatically save a buffer?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:07:11 +0100

Hi there,

as part of a function of mine, I want to save a buffer.  However, I do
not want any messages logged (as save-buffer does).  I found this in the
manual:

You can write the contents of a buffer, or part of a buffer, directly to
a file on disk using the ‘append-to-file’ and ‘write-region’ functions.
Don’t use these functions to write to files that are being visited; that
could cause confusion in the mechanisms for visiting.

Why shouldn't I use `write-region'?

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski