Re: How to IRC?

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 16:59:36 +0100

> Hi all,
>
> I'm an (almost) complete newbie wrt IRC.  How do I start?  The EmacsWiki
> page is basically a bunch of people stating that ERC is great.  That is
> cool, but I'd like to learn how to use that (I found some general IRC
> links there, so that part can be considered solved) and choose an
> (Emacs-based, of course) IRC client.  What are the differences bewteen
> (many) existing clients?  Any hints which might help me decide?

I use erc.

So once you've installed it,

M-x erc-select RET
irc.freenode.org RET
marcin RET
RET
wait for the connection, then in the irc.freenode.org buffer,
/join #emacs RET
and start to chat.

You can customize erc to store the default irc server, nickname,
password, and a list of channels you'd want to join automatically.

M-x customize-group RET erc RET