Re: How to IRC?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2015 02:57:42 +0100

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

> irc in emacs gets disconnected every time when
> connecting to freenode.net which is where erc goes
> to connect. Why this is, I don't know.

Okaaay...

In theory as well as practice, unless practice is at
an embarrassingly low level (and a wierd one at that),
the IRC client shouldn't one bit influence the status
of IRC as a network, and the client should be able to
connect to any server that any other client is able to
connect to.

If not, the IRC protocol isn't implemented correctly -
and this is something we normally take for granted
when discussing clients. E.g., when we say Gnus is
better than Thunderbird, we mean we prefer the Gnus
*interface*, we appreciate Gnus being part of Emacs,
the configurability and Elisping, and so on - we don't
mean that Thunderbird is incapable of delivering and
fetching the actual mails.

With ERC, these variables

    (setq erc-server "irc.freenode.net")
    (setq erc-port   6667)

are prefixed `erc-' but that refers to them being part
of the ERC software; ERC is still the client and the
server is the server of the IRC network - so by
changing that variable value, ERC should be able to
connect to virtually all servers (except some for
non-technology reasons).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573