Re: bulk replacement on region, buffer, file?

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: bulk replacement on region, buffer, file?
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 09:40:37 -0700

Tom Roche wrote:
> I would appreciate pointers to code that enables "bulk replacement"
> of numerous string tuples ({to-replace, replace-with}) in a single
> call. What I mean, why I ask:

To handle the UTF-8 translations I like 'iconv'.  It handles many
different types of transliterations.

  $ echo '“foo”' | iconv -f UTF-8 -t ASCII//TRANSLIT
  "foo"

If it were me I would do a first pass using iconv to transliterate
characters in the first pass and then perform the other replacements
you want in a second pass.

Bob