Re: Recognizing quotations in message-mode

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Recognizing quotations in message-mode
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 00:44:47 +0100

> Is there a function which, called in message-mode,
> would tell me whether the point is within
> a quotation?

Because comments in `message-mode' are inserted and
interacted with the same way comments in programming
modes, I thought the downmost code would work. But it
doesn't; perhaps the "syntax" of a message hasn't been
added to, or is incompatible with, the workings of
`syntax-ppss'.

Anyway, what about this?

(defun point-in-quotation-p ()
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-line)
    (string= ">" (thing-at-point 'char t))))

You can use `comment-start' if you don't want to
hard-code the ">".

Here is the code that didn't work - perhaps some of it
can be brought over to the above code tho, in
particular the interactive stuff.

(defun point-in-comment-p (&optional print-message)
  (interactive "p")
  "True iff point is in a comment."
  (let*((comment  (nth 8 (syntax-ppss)))
        (feedback (format "%s comment" (if comment "Yes:" "No"))) )
    (prog1 comment
        (when print-message (message feedback)) )))

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573