Re: Recognizing quotations in message-mode

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Recognizing quotations in message-mode
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 00:52:04 +0100

On 2015-12-11, at 00:44, Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:

> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:
>
>> Is there a function which, called in message-mode,
>> would tell me whether the point is within
>> a quotation?
>
> Because comments in `message-mode' are inserted and
> interacted with the same way comments in programming
> modes, I thought the downmost code would work. But it
> doesn't; perhaps the "syntax" of a message hasn't been
> added to, or is incompatible with, the workings of
> `syntax-ppss'.
>
> Anyway, what about this?
>
> (defun point-in-quotation-p ()
>   (save-excursion
>     (beginning-of-line)
>     (string= ">" (thing-at-point 'char t))))
>
> You can use `comment-start' if you don't want to
> hard-code the ">".

Well, I did this:

(defun message-in-quotation-p ()
  "Return t if the point is within a quotation.
Use `message-yank-prefix' to determine that."
  (save-excursion
    (beginning-of-line)
    (looking-at-p (concat "^" (regexp-quote message-yank-prefix)))))

which is more or less what you've suggested.  It's not that I can't code
this, I just thought that maybe I won't have to reinvent the wheel.

And btw, why use `thing-at-point' and not just `char-after'?

> Here is the code that didn't work - perhaps some of it
> can be brought over to the above code tho, in
> particular the interactive stuff.
>
> (defun point-in-comment-p (&optional print-message)
>   (interactive "p")
>   "True iff point is in a comment."
>   (let*((comment  (nth 8 (syntax-ppss)))
>         (feedback (format "%s comment" (if comment "Yes:" "No"))) )
>     (prog1 comment
>         (when print-message (message feedback)) )))

In my use-case, I don't want interactive stuff - I need that function so
that I can count the sentences in an email (excluding quotations).

Thanks anyway,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University